There are posts going up among my Facebook friends quoting the bests things about being forty…my favorite among them is: there was internet when I was twenty – so there is no evidence of my stupidity.
The Huffington post ran this one yesterday by Amy Wruble: 40 Effed Up Things About Being 40
I’d like to add my own neurosis to the list…there are huge benefits and not so much things I like to think about…ready, here we go.
1. I know myself.
2. I am a Mom.
3. I’m in a good relationship and married to my best friend. (that part takes work people)
4. I am pretty comfortable in my own skin.
5. I feel good. aka (knock on wood) I’m healthy.
6. I’m still ambitious.
7. I have great friends.
8. I have a past and a future.
9. I have my own money.
10. I have acquired nice things, art, jewelry, shoes and clothes, and appreciate them all.
11. I’m thinner than I was when I was 20.
THE NOT SO GOOD:
1. I can see myself aging. My skin wrinkles inside the crease of my elbow, laugh lines and forehead perfection lines require bangs or Botox, dark circles have appeared beneath my eyes and my lids are heavier.
2. There are coarse hairs growing from places I don’t approve of and I’m afraid of losing my sight and having no one pull them!
3. My daughter is young, and I’m afraid before she creates a permanent memory of me, I’ll be old and she’ll never know me as young. My mother stopped agin at 42-years-old for me in my mind, I was 14. I am forty-four, if my little girl stops aging me in her mind at 14-years-old I’ll be 53. Don’t know what that’ll look like, but I’m worried!
4. It takes me longer to recover from injury.(back pain or when I hurt myself from dancing too hard in Zumba!)
5. It takes me longer to recover from a drink or two.
6. I can’t stay out late and hang with my younger friends.
7. The skin on my back, above my bra is sagging – seriously WTF!
8. I’m not on the New York Times Bestseller list…yet. (see ambition on the plus side of things)
9. Menopause will not be my friend.
10. Despite aging I am now also battling breakouts.
Overall, things in my life are downright awesome. I am thankful for it all, the good and not so good. Anything freaking you out? Do tell.