A few months ago Jim Zub reached out to me via twitter. Now you never know what you’re going to get when a stranger flatters you but he is 100% professional and we soon traded emails. He read one of my xoJane essays and was curious if I was willing to reprint it with him.
He sent me a PDF of Glitterbomb and I fell in love with the story and art. And I loved his professionalism and the fact Glitterbomb was his passion project. He put his own money on the line and pitched it to Image Comics and the rest will soon be history.
What thrills me more than being asked to contribute to the back matter in each of the upcoming 4 issues, is the talent associated with this comic.
So if you’re curious about what the truth about Hollywood looks like via comic books, this is the one to read.
GLITTERBOMB launches September 7th.
Here’s a Comic Shop Locator site for anyone to find where one is in their area:
STORY: JIM ZUB
ART: DJIBRIL MORISSETTE-PHAN & K. MICHAEL RUSSELL
COVER A: DJIBRIL MORISSETTE-PHAN
COVER B: STEVEN CUMMINGS & DJIBRIL MORISSETTE-PHAN
SEPTEMBER 7 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99
Farrah Durante is a middle-aged actress hunting for her next gig in an industry where youth trumps experience. Her frustrations become an emotional lure for something horrifying out beyond the water…something ready to exact revenge on the shallow celebrity-obsessed culture that’s lead her astray.
Fan favorite Jim Zub (Wayward, Thunderbolts) and newcomer Djibril Morissette-Phan tear into the heart of Hollywood in GLITTERBOMB, a dramatic horror story about fame and failure.
The entertainment industry feeds on our insecurities, desires, and fears. You can’t toy with those kinds of primal emotions without them biting back…
“A gut-punch of glitz and blood and starf**ked culture. You want to read this.”
– Chuck Wendig (Blackbirds)
“Taut, human, creepy s**t. Finding a new angle on the Hollywood meat factory is hard as hell, but this is all kinds of neat.”
– Kieron Gillen (The Wicked + The Divine)
“Sharply written and drawn, with deft insight into the trappings of celebrity culture, Glitterbomb just might be the ultimate Hollywood horror story.”
– Karen Berger (Founder of DC’s Vertigo Imprint)
check out some of the reviews:
• Newsarama: 10/10 “With its creature-feature hook and its blunt focus on the dark things women are subjected to in Hollywood, Glitterbomb #1 is a triumph.”
• Nerdist: 5/5 “Zub and Morrissette-Phan nail it. Glitterbomb #1 looks and reads great..”
• Adult Podcast For Kids: “I cannot recommend this book enough. A fantastic read.”
• Comic Buzz: “The art style is detailed and realistic, with a dash of the surreal, creating an eerie atmosphere befitting the material.”
• Comics Grinder: “Glitterbomb provides a clever horror vibe as well as great biting social commentary.”
• Critical Threat: “Farrah is one of the most instantly relatable characters I’ve read in comics, or any other media. I think it speaks to both Zub’s skill as a writer and Djibril Morissette-Phan’s talent as an artist.”
• Impulse Gamer: 4.9/5 “Overall, this new series has the potential to be the next sleeper hit from Image Comics. The story by Zub is intense, and it will grab the reader’s attention right from the start.”
Jim is incredibly generous. His blog is full of tutorials. Check back for more updates.